Monday 1 November 2010

Chiddy Bang interview

Following the directions I was given, I found myself behind Newcastle’s O2 Academy and getting into Chiddy Bang’s van, where Chiddy was enjoying a quick meal before the show. What was originally planned as an interview, turned into a casual conversation, complete with high fives and fist pumps. Noah Beresin was caught up backstage and was unable to take part, but the interview continued with the very approachable and laidback Chiddy.

Aliena: Is this your first time in Newcastle?

Chiddy: It’s my very first time. Ever.

Aliena: And what do you think of it so far?

Chiddy: I’m liking it, you know, thus far. The vibe is feeling right, there’s a lot of fans outside, a lot of lovers of music alike. It’s dope man, I can’t wait to perform.

Aliena: And the rest of the tour is around England or the rest of the UK?

Chiddy: The rest of the tour is around the whole UK, you know what I’m saying, playing at Manchester, you know what I’m saying, in Scotland, Edinburgh, Glasgow, got some London shows.

Aliena: How long is the whole tour?

Chiddy: The tour’s gonna be about for a month. We’re going to be doing this until November 2nd and then we’ve got a week off in London and we’re just going to be recording for a week and chilling.

Aliena: Alright, and what do you have planned to do after the tour? Go back to the states?

Chiddy: Yeah, go back to the states, you know what I mean, get in the studio, finish up our debut album, which is coming out 2011, you know what I mean, we’ve gotta do some work on that. Gotta make something happen.

Aliena: Do you see yourself heading off to Europe at anytime?

Chiddy: Definitely. We love Europe. We’re always coming back here. We just came back from Australia, you know what I mean and it was crazy out there, but yeah, Europe is very important. We did a couple shows. We did shows in Switzerland, we did shows in Oslo, we did shows in Germany, in Munich, you know what I’m saying. We did shows in Paris. So we’re getting around, we’re starting to get around and see more of Europe and it’s a wonderful thing.

Aliena: And how does it make you feel to see all these people come out and support you?

Chiddy: It makes me feel good. Definitely does, I mean there’s a fan base here and I guess that’s just the way it is. People rap with Chiddy Bang and it’s a wonderful thing. I’m just gonna do what I know how to do and continue to make music and you know, spit crazy raps.

Aliena: So then how did the whole rap thing come about? When did you realize that this was what you wanted to do?
Chiddy: I’ve been rapping since I was about 10 years old. So it was always something I was kind of interested in, but I think it was at the point when I came to college and I met Noah and we started making beats, that’s when I started like, you know, really, really pursuing it and we just decided we were just gonna do a project and just work with each other and see what comes up and it just started coming out dope.

Aliena: That’s cool, so do you get inspiration from certain people?

Chiddy: I’m inspired by like Kanye West, and you know, Jay-Z, just you know, like capturing America just doing their thing and that have been on top of their game for consecutive years. I always look up to them.

Aliena: Have you met them? Or rapped with them at some point?

Chiddy: I have not met Jay-Z or Kanye yet, but Kanye did put us on his blog to be fair, and uh, I’m very good friends with an American artist by the name of Big Sean. He’s Kanye West’s artist, Kanye West found him. You know, it’s only a matter of time before we do meet these people and get to rap with them.

Aliena: Well I hope you do.

Chiddy: Thank you

Aliena: And what about with Tinie Tempah? Is that just the one off or have you performed with him before?

Chiddy: We performed with him, actually the last time we performed, we performed with him at all the UK festivals and stuff, so we see him all the time. Before that though, the last time we performed with him was March 1st, which was the date that we got signed and that was actually the date, the day before “Pass Out” came out. We performed at his single release party. That’s when we were chatting up with him and that’s when I met him for the first time. He’s just a real, real cool dude and this is a tour where like everyday we’re playing with him. Unfortunately we’ve got a show tonight, so we gotta leave right after our set, so we won’t be able to chill with him, but tomorrow you know, we’re gonna be chilling after the show, go out, go party, you know.

Aliena: So are you leaving Newcastle right away?

Chiddy: Yeah, right away, gotta go to Middlesborough.

Aliena: Alright, well I wish you the best with the tour.

Chiddy: Thank you so much.

Aliena: And thank you for making the time for this.

Chiddy: AAAALLL DAAAYYY!!!

Interviewed by Aliena Haig

No comments:

Post a Comment